Friday, April 13, 2012

10 Things I'm Learning About Being a Mommy

1. Everything is cute. And I mean everything! Since becoming a mommy I have somehow mutated into some mushy-gushy gaga freak. Show me a picture of a baby in a catalog...oohhhh.  That kid in the wagon rolling down the street? Be still my heart. Oh, and I can't leave out the cutest little puppy just pinned to Pinterest. Look how fuzzy-wuzzy! Don't be fooled though, the cutest thing by FAR is this really adorable brown-headed cutie-pie named Adeline. Coochie-coochie-coo, I wuv you!
(Help, I need an intervention!)

2. Dryers eat baby socks. If I had known that those microscopic socks would disappear as fast as they do I might have taken back all the bottles and bought more socks. At least it's a little bit harder to lose a bottle!

3. Daytime TV sucks. For realz. In between all the infomercials, reality shows, and cartoons, I'm left watching Dateline: Real Life Mysteries for most of the day. Thank God for Netflix! Although I might have found a new career as an attorney. I'm getting pretty good at the whole guilty/not guilty thing. I'm right at least 45% of the time. (That's all it takes to be successful, right?)

4. It is still possible to keep the house 'tidy'. I'll be the first to admit that I am little anal retentive when it comes to my house. A place for everything and everything in its place is what I always say. So I'll be honest that the thought of my house falling to pieces during the "newborn" phase freaked me out a little bit. I'm finding though that I can still manage to pick things up during nap time. I can dust one room one day, load the dishwasher while giving her a bottle, and fold clothes while she looks around from her Boppy.

5. The word 'boob' and 'poop' are daily vocabulary words in our household. It seems like our conversations consist of nothing but "How many times has she pooped today?" "Oh man! That was a big poop!" "She ate off the boob today!" Funny, things that seemed awkward before being a mommy are now just second nature.

6. All the spotlight surrounding being pregnant is now transferred over to the baby.  One of the greatest things about being pregnant is all the attention that you get. People care about how you are feeling, how you look, etc.  Once the belly is gone so is the attention. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. There reached a point where I was ready for the conversation to turn away from "pregnancy" all the time. Now I find, the conversation has turned to Adeline. And you know what? I am perfectly okay with that! I can talk about Miss Adeline all. day. long!

7. Shower anyone? Even though Adeline is just 3 weeks old, I have already found that I get in the shower and out in half the time it used to take me. I've perfected the art of washing off while rinsing the conditioner out of my hair. And those days of not leaving the bathroom until my makeup is applied and each hair perfectly in its place? Gone. Makeup gets applied in the car, and hair is done in between feedings and naps. 

8. A breast pump is household decor. What you didn't know that it was perfectly normal to walk into a house and see a breast pump sitting on the side table? Huh. Some things I have found, no matter how anal-retentie I am, have now come down to convenience. So yeah, my breast pump is visible when you walk into my house, and no I don't care. It's such a freeing feeling! Perhaps I'll take a picture and pin it!

9. Life is divided into 2-3 hour increments. Gone are the days of taking a nap or a long shower or a walk around the block. Now I live from one 2-3 hour block of time to the next.  Adeline is also extremely clingy to her mommy so she doesn't like her bassinet unless it's night time, but we are working on that part.

10. I can do this. When Landen went back to work that first week, I spent the entire first day crying like the newborn baby I held in my arms. I was so afraid that I was going to fail without him here to help me. But I did it, day by day, diaper by diaper. At the end of the week I realized that I was completely capable of taking care of my sweet little girl. I got this!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right, daytime TV stinks! I was home sick for several days this winter and realized that. Also you make me feel better that you have been able to keep things tidy. That is what scares me the most someday. I feel off when things are a mess and not organized.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...